history of the museum

The museum was founded through the efforts of local teacher and historian Marie Rozier and businesswoman Patsy McMahon. By collecting clothing, furniture, photos, household items and the memorabilia from local families, the two women assured the township’s history would be established in a permanent collection.
The determination of many First opened in February, 1948 in the former Telephone Company building at the corner of Pine Street and Chestnut Avenue, the museum had a number of homes over the years. In 1951, the collection was on view in a log cabin in Tuolumne Park.
In 1971, With the demise of the cabin, the collection moved to storage in the Tuolumne Telephone Company warehouse.
In 1971, it reopened in the Westside Lumber Company building on Main Street, then again all was packed up and stored, in member’s homes.
The collection found a permanent home in 1984 when the Women’s Improvement Club gave their clubhouse to the Museum. Community members raised funds and local volunteers extensively renovated the building to hours the Museum collection.
In 1978, the Tuolumne City Memorial Museum was incorporated.
In 1981, the Tuolumne Women’s Improvement Club gift-deede their property to the museum. In 1982 the reconstruction of the existing building and addition of two wings began.
In December of 1984, there was a celebration of the display of the collection in it’s new home at the corner of Bay and Carter Streets .